It’s often said that the internet is killing the high street. Well, when it comes to getting the best deal, it’s easy to see why.
The internet gives you access to so many shopping avenues and money saving devices that, if price was the deciding factor, there really is no choice.
So, with literally hundreds of websites to choose from, how do you make sure you are getting the best deal?
To help you get the most from your next internet shopping session we’ve listed our five top tips.
- One of the major benefits of the internet is the number of suppliers it give you access to. Unfortunately the sheer number of suppliers for any one product makes it difficult to make an easy comparison. Though the Google shopping listings will give you a good idea of the best prices and suppliers for a particular product, for most products it’s worth seeking out a relevant price comparison site to help you compare all the major suppliers.
- Another great way to find what you are looking for, without being so specific, is to use a third party application. There are a number of apps for smartphones and tablets which make bargain hunting a pleasure. I’m always using the ‘Shopstyle’ app on the iPad to find my next clothing bargain.
- So, you’ve found the cheapest supplier of the product you are looking for. The next step is to see if you can get any cashback on your purchase. There are a number of sites which offer various cashback incentives for using their referral service. This means that you can get anything from 2 – 10% back on your purchase simply by accessing your chosen supplier’s site through a link from the most generous cashback site. The most popular cashback site is Quidco.
- When you reach the checkout most people simply go ahead with their purchase. Unfortunately this means they often miss out on one of the best opportunities to save money online. Almost all online retailers will have a box at the checkout which lets you enter a promotional or voucher code. If there’s a box, that means there are likely to be store discount codes…somewhere. At this point you should be making your way to Google and entering the search “voucher code for (enter retailer here)”. Though you won’t always find a code for the site you are using, it happens more often than you might think.
- Another great way to find out about voucher codes for sites you are interested in and keep up to date with the latest special offers is to use social media. Twitter, Facebook and Foursquare are all great places to hear about deals before everyone else.
Next time you find yourself shopping online try and apply some of these useful tips. Over time they could save you hundreds of pounds.
Written by James Willment